Saturday, March 28, 2009

How I began sewing

It was my spring break. I was a Junior in college and the small town I was in didn't have a whole lot of shopping choices. I was looking for a dress that would be fun, but a bit old fashioned looking. I didn't really have an occasion I needed it for, I just felt like looking pretty. I go through that once in a while. It's a girl thing.

After visiting the few stores in town and not finding quite what I was looking for, I thought "If only I could just make what I want." Mostly out of curiousity, I stopped by the local fabric store to see what would be involved.

I looked through the patterns and found one that looked about right. (Butterick 3022) It also said "easy" on it, which was reassuring. I found some fabric I liked- I think it was meant to make Hawaiian shirts with. The lady who worked there had been eyeing me with interest, and I told her what I was up to. She fixed me up with thread and a zipper and looked at me like I was nuts when I said I didn't have a sewing machine and was planning on doing it all by hand.

My roommate got home that evening to find me with pattern pieces cut up and spread out over our living room floor. It took a few days, but I got everything cut and sewn together. The written directions were hard to understand because they used technical sewing terms I didn't have any experience with (I still don't use the directions) so I mainly looked at the pictures. I had to take the pieces apart a few times because I put them together the wrong way. I had no idea how to hem or finish edges, so I made up my own ways. And I adjusted the fit a bit, but all in all I was surprised how nicely it turned out.

This was years ago, but I still have that dress. I've restiched some seams now that I have a machine, just so the thing doesn't fall apart in public. I'm using the pattern to make a new dress this week.

Everyone should try making their own clothes sometime. If I can figure it out, anyone can.

No comments:

Post a Comment