Thursday, May 21, 2009

I love this time of year...

It's been so nice outside, and I've been spending a lot of time there. So I haven't been on the computer much at all, which is probably a good thing. Here's what I've been up to:

-I got my vegetable garden planted. I've got corn, beans, peas, cauliflower, brocolli, onions, carrots, lettuce, spinach, pumpkins, cucumbers, strawberries, rhubarb, and sunflowers. I thought the sunflowers would be fun for the babies to help with. Things are just starting to pop up. I will have an abundance of veggies in a little while, and I will plant more lettuce and spinach in a few weeks to stagger my harvest.

-I planted hanging baskets. Last year I did fuschias, but apparently I'm not so good at overwintering them. The ones in the barrels and the ground lived, but not the hanging baskets. So this year I went with something different and planted petunias, bacopa, verbena, and a few other cute little hangy things. I gave some to Mom for Mother's day. They're getting bushy already, and today I took them down sit in the sun for a while(like me).

-I replaced the rhododendron that the deranged squirrel destroyed (still at large, by the way) with a new one I got for Mother's Day. I got my husband to plant it for me because that's a big hole to dig and I'm a wimp.

-Constant weeding EVERYWHERE! I use a stick with a weeder at the end of it to pop weeds out of the lawn. I'm sure it's slower than an herbicide, but this way the kids aren't running around in poison. And the *almost* three year old is usually a good helper and will pick them up and put them in a bucket for me. For a while at least, and then she realizes that it's work and not playtime and moves onto something else. I'll resort to bribes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment